Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
One of my most requested soups.
Make and share this Potato Soup recipe from Food.com.
- In large pot, cook bacon crisply, crumble and set aside.
- Drain off all but 1/4 cup of the bacon grease.
- In remaining grease, saute the celery and onion until onion turns clear, then add garlic and cook another minute.
- Add cubed potatoes and toss to coat. Add broth. Make sure that broth completely covers potatoes, so you may need to add more than 4 cups.
- Cover and simmer till potatoes are just tender, do not over cook.
- In separate pan, melt butter. Whisk in flour, cook 1 to 2 minutes, then add heavy cream, tarragon, parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to boil, stir until thick - then add to soup.
- Add crumbled bacon to pot just before serving, or sprinkle over each individual bowl.
This was delicious - my husband claims it was the best soup I've ever made! I made a few minor modifications (mostly just because of what I had on hand) - I used a potato masher to crush a few of the potatoes before adding in the cream mixture, in which I used 1% milk instead of cream; dried parsley instead of fresh; Italian Seasoning instead of tarragon; and just before serving, I stirred in a couple of handfuls of shredded cheese.
This soup is a really great filling soup, easy and quick to make and all the flavors compliment each other. I used instant mashed potatoes to thicken my soup up a little more as I like a pretty heavy cream soup.I will definatly make this one again! Thanks for sharing!