Recipe by Manami
This is a simple soup recipe; that is like a blank canvas - you can add whatever you like and it will still be good.
Top Review by crazee4cookin
Delicious and simple, simple, simple. I didn't add the heavy cream and kept in low cal. It will be a staple on these long winter days. Thank for yet another successful recipe.
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons garlic
- 8 cups chicken broth or 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 large baking potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream (optional)
- sweet paprika, garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a large, heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions, celery, salt and pepper & cook, stirring, until the onions are soft & lightly golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add the bay leaf and garlic and cook, stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add the broth and potatoes, bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until the potatoes are soft, about 30 minutes.
- Remove the soup from heat.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Let cool a few minutes.
- In a food processor blend until smooth - will have to do it in batches.
- Slowly add the cream and stir to blend.
- To serve, ladle into soup bowls and serve hot.
- Garnish with paprika.
- *Can use cheddar cheese, tomatoes - to give it color, bacon bits and whatever else you want.*.