This is a simple soup recipe; that is like a blank canvas - you can add whatever you like and it will still be good.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons garlic
- 8 cups chicken broth or 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 large baking potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (optional)
- sweet paprika, garnish
- 1Melt the butter in a large, heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- 2Add the onions, celery, salt and pepper & cook, stirring, until the onions are soft & lightly golden, about 5 minutes.
- 3Add the bay leaf and garlic and cook, stirring for 2 minutes.
- 4Add the broth and potatoes, bring to a boil.
- 5Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until the potatoes are soft, about 30 minutes.
- 6Remove the soup from heat.
- 7Discard bay leaf.
- 8Let cool a few minutes.
- 9In a food processor blend until smooth - will have to do it in batches.
- 10Slowly add the cream and stir to blend.
- 11To serve, ladle into soup bowls and serve hot.
- 12Garnish with paprika.
- 13*Can use cheddar cheese, tomatoes - to give it color, bacon bits and whatever else you want.*.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (702 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 287.3
- Calories from Fat 130
- Total Fat 14.4 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 1845.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 12.4 g