Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
An old family favorite.
- 4 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed (1 inch)
- 1 cup celery, sliced (3/4 inch)
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Put the potatoes, celery, onion, salt and water in a large Dutch oven or other heavy pan on top of stove.
- Cover pot and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender (it's okay if they start to fall apart).
- Mash the mixture once or twice with a potato masher, but leave plenty of potato chunks.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and cook (do not boil) and stir until soup is heated completely.
- Serve hot.
GOOD potato soup recipe! I made a batch of this to serve to company at a light supper, and they really liked it. I substituted half and half for the whipping cream to cut the fat a little. It turned out very good! Thanks for posting this good soup recipe!