Recipe by Dee514
Posted in answer to a message board request. A good side dish when you want to dress up "plain ol' mashed potatoes". Seasonings can be altered to suit your taste.
Top Review by Cindy Lynn
This was absolutely delightful. It was almost like mashed potatoes, but so very light and fluffy. My experience with souffles is that they usually fall as they cool. I was amazed that this puffed so nicely and held its form as it cooled. DH thinks we ought to have this one again too! Thank you for sharing this recipe Dee!!!
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup light cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 egg whites, beaten stiff
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil potatoes in lightly salted water for 15 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and mash well.
- Add butter, nutmeg, egg yolks, light cream, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Fold in egg whites.
- Place potato mixture into a greased casserole pan (large enough hold all the mixture, but be only 2/3 full).
- Bake in preheated 375°F oven for about 20 minutes (until puffed and heated through).
- Serve immediately.