Recipe by jenny butt
Taken from Dorinda Hafners 'Tastes of Britain', this traditional Irish soup is hearty and good for winters days.
- 50 g butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 110 g streaky bacon, de rinded & chopped into large dice
- 450 -550 g potatoes, cubed
- 900 ml ham or 900 ml bacon stock
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat butter in large saucepan on moderate flame.
- When butter foams, add onion & bacon; sauté until bacon is crisp.
- Add cubed potatoes; turn heat to low and cook for further 5 minutes.
- Stir in the stock, turn up flame, bring to a boil.
- Lower flame and gently simmer until potatoes are soft & tender.
- Add pepper.
- Pour soup into blender and puree smooth.
- Serve in soup bowls with a swirl of cream.