Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Potatoes, breakfast sausage, and cheese combine to make a hearty soup. I use reduced fat sausage so you don't have to drain off the fat. Great with cornbread and salad for a comfort food meal on a cold night.
- Brown sausage and onion in dutch oven until no longer pink. (If using regular sausage, drain and wipe out bottom of pan.).
- Add chicken broth to sausage and onions and bring to boil.
- Add potatoes and simmer on med high for 20 mins or until potatoes are soft.
- Remove from heat and mash potatoes completely.
- Add evaporated milk and cheese and stir until cheese is melted.
- Add garlic powder and cracked pepper to taste.
- If you like a thicker soup, add a little cornstarch or flour for thickening.
oh my, so delicious. I used cream instead of the evaporated milk, because I had some to use up.
Made this for Christmas Eve, along with a quick French Bread, and we loved it!!! I doubled the recipe, and added rosemary and garlic. I did smash the potatoes, and also let it simmer for quite a while. Other than that, I followed the recipe as posted. Oh, and I did add a little corn starch to thicken. Didn't "need" it, just our preference.<br/><br/>Will DEF make again!!!