Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Inspired by food I grew up eating. The sauerkraut and fennel makes this potato dish a very European-tasting side that goes great with sausage. Just be sure to squeeze out all that liquid from the kraut.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat the butter in a heavy pot over medium heat. Add the potatoes, and brown them a bit for 10 minutes, while sitrring every now and then. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the onion, fennel, celery and carrots to the pot; stir and cook for 5 minutes longer. I add just a bit of salt & pepper here too.
- Remove from heat and stir in the sauerkraut. Tranfer mixture to a greased or sprayed 9x13" casserole dish.
- Bake for one hour, and stir every 15 minutes so everything gets nicely browned and nothing burns. I add a small bit of salt and pepper every time I stir as well.
- Remove from oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Tasty alternative to a standard sauerkraut bake for New Year's. I absolutely loved the combination of vegetables in this dish, but will not completely drain the sauerkraut next time I make it because I really like the flavor sauerkraut adds.