Prep 30 mins
Cook 28 mins
This is a great tasting Potato Salad with out the FAT ! Its a great salad and you will never go back to the Mayo !! What makes this: Of course the steaming of the potatoes & the Warm onion dressing over it all!
- 2 lbs red potatoes, cut into large chuncks
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 3 tablespoons apple juice
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1⁄4 chopped parsley
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- Place a steamer basket in a saucepan with 1/2" of water.
- Place the potatoes in the steamer.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium, cover& cook 20 minutes, or until tender.
- Rinse under cold water briefly & drain.
- Place in large serving bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion & garlic & cook stirring for 8 minutes, or until the onion is very soft.
- Add the vinegar, apple juice, mustard,parsley, & salt.
- Cook for 2 minutes or until heated through.
- Pour over the potatoes.
- Toss to coat.
- Than let stand at least 15 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
Despite having only 3g fat, this was a scrumptious alternative to other higher fat options, and quite different from any other Potato Salad I’ve ever eaten. A subtle blend of flavours, which really complement the potatoes. Before I made it, I kept thinking I’d like some diced bacon in this, but that would have upset the low fat element, so I compromised and added about a cup of sliced button mushrooms with the onion and garlic, and I also increased the garlic to 4 cloves (personal taste preference) but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. I’ll certainly make this again, and next time I will add some bacon! I was interested in the previous reviewer’s using this recipe as a dressing; it could certainly be used as such over most vegetables, but why it’s particularly suited to potatoes is that the potatoes soak up the dressing. Thanks for a great recipe, Poker!
I skipped the potatoes and used this as a dressing for my salad. I also added pecans. Pretty tasty.