Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Inspired by leftover baby new potatoes and a big batch of homemade pesto, I came up with this yummy salad that's quite different from a traditional potato salad. I hope you like it!
- 1 lb tiny new potatoes, cooked (leave skins on)
- 1⁄2 cup diced red onion
- 3 slices bacon, cooked well and sliced
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh chives
- 3 tablespoons low-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto (preferably homemade)
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- For this recipe, use the tiniest new potatoes you can find; I used fresh baby potatoes from a farmers' market that were about the size of marbles. My potatoes were leftovers, so they were already boiled, but feel free to cook potatoes if needed; it will take longer to make this recipe though.
- In a mixing bowl, place the potatoes, onions, bacon and chives; lightly toss together.
- In a small bowl, stir together the sour cream, mayo and pesto; feel free to add more pesto if you wish.
- Add pesto mixture to potatoes and combine; taste. It will need salt and pepper.
- Chill for at least one hour before serving to let the flavours blend; taste before serving as it may need more salt. If desired, sprinkle parmesan over top of salad before serving; it's not necessary but it adds another flavour element to the salad that I felt went well.
- This recipe would easily double, if not triple.
I left out the bacon and upped the ratio of sour cream/mayo a bit, and it was delicious! With a garnish of fresh basil leaves, so pretty. Such a delightful change from those mustardy potato salads with pickle relish! (zzz)
Delicious! I added tomatoes as suggested by another reviewer, and it added a great flavor! This is a great potato salad recipe, especially as an alternative for those who don't eat the mustard based ones... several people who don't like those raved about this one!
My husband says that an addition of halved grape tomatoes right before serving would make this a five star recipe. Very easy to prepare - I used turkey bacon and asiago cheese as that's what I had.