1 hr 25 mins
Karen's Krazy Kitchen's Note:
Every time I take out my recipe to make this, my mouth waters in anticipation. By tossing the diced warm potatoes with the lemon, garlic and olive oil mixture, the flavors really get into the potatoes and moistens them. This allows you to use less mayonnaise and eliminates the need for bacon fat. The pastrami more than makes up for the traditional bacon flavor. Cooking time does not include chilling time. This is best made the day before serving so the flavors can meld.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 medium yukon gold potatoes, cut in half and peeled if you like
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons garlic, pressed
- kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, very finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, very finely chopped
- 1/4 lb pastrami, shaved at the deli counter
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1Place the potatoes in a large pot of cold water. Bring the water to a boil, add 1 tbs of kosher salt then lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are barely tender when pierced with a knife.
- 2Drain the potatoes in a colander, then place the colander with the potatoes over the empty pot off the heat and cover with a clean, dry kitchen towel. Leave the potatoes to steam for 15 minutes, until tender but firm.
- 3Whisk together lemon juice, zest, olive oil, pressed garlic, salt and pepper together in a LARGE bowl.
- 4Dice the warm potatoes, add to the lemon mixture and toss gently to coat.
- 5Blend the vinegar, mustard, mayonnaise and herbs in a separate bowl.
- 6Add the celery, onion, pastrami and eggs to the potato mixture.
- 7Toss the vinegar blend over the potato salad and fold in gently until combined.
- 8Chill overnight.
- 9Bring to room temperature, toss and taste before serving. You might want to add a little more salt and pepper, depending on your taste.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato Salad With Lemon, Garlic and Pastrami
Serving Size: 1 (223 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 440.0
- Calories from Fat 206
- Total Fat 22.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 126.3 mg
- Sodium 458.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 11.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of