Prep 50 mins
Cook 35 mins
Every time I take out my recipe to make this, my mouth waters in anticipation. By tossing the diced warm potatoes with the lemon, garlic and olive oil mixture, the flavors really get into the potatoes and moistens them. This allows you to use less mayonnaise and eliminates the need for bacon fat. The pastrami more than makes up for the traditional bacon flavor. Cooking time does not include chilling time. This is best made the day before serving so the flavors can meld.
- 8 medium yukon gold potatoes, cut in half and peeled if you like
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons garlic, pressed
- kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, very finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, very finely chopped
- 1⁄4 lb pastrami, shaved at the deli counter
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- Place the potatoes in a large pot of cold water. Bring the water to a boil, add 1 tbs of kosher salt then lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are barely tender when pierced with a knife.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander, then place the colander with the potatoes over the empty pot off the heat and cover with a clean, dry kitchen towel. Leave the potatoes to steam for 15 minutes, until tender but firm.
- Whisk together lemon juice, zest, olive oil, pressed garlic, salt and pepper together in a LARGE bowl.
- Dice the warm potatoes, add to the lemon mixture and toss gently to coat.
- Blend the vinegar, mustard, mayonnaise and herbs in a separate bowl.
- Add the celery, onion, pastrami and eggs to the potato mixture.
- Toss the vinegar blend over the potato salad and fold in gently until combined.
- Chill overnight.
- Bring to room temperature, toss and taste before serving. You might want to add a little more salt and pepper, depending on your taste.
Very good! I had some pastrami and wanted something different. This fit the bill! I cut the amounts of lemon, oil, vinegar, and garlic in half, and the flavoring was perfect!