Prep 35 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a great salad for picnics, get-togethers or potlucks(contains no mayonnaise). It's just a great potato salad. I love fresh herbs and I enjoy using them in my recipes every chance I get. I found this in a Bon Appetit "Deliciously Light" cookbook, and it justly describes this salad.I have taken liberties with this recipe, therefore it's not the same as in the cookbook. Times do not include time to bring water to a boil.
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice (not bottled, please)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated lemon peel (only the yellow part,don't grate into the white part, it's bitter)
- 1 green bell peppers or 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup of fresh mint, finely chopped
- 2 1⁄4 lbs small red potatoes, unpeeled
- salt and pepper
- Whisk oil, lemon juice and lemon peel in small bowl to blend.
- Season dressing with salt and pepper.
- Place 1/2 cup dressing in large bowl.
- Mix in bell pepper, onion, cilantro, basil and mint.
- Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling, salted water until tender, about 25 minutes.
- Drain; cool 15 minutes.
- Cut potatoes into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Add potatoes to large bowl with dressing and toss to blend.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, adding more dressing, if desired.
- Serve at room temperature.
I could drink the dressing alone for this salad! I love this entire cookbook, but this recipe is especially yummy. I take this everywhere I am asked to bring a dish. Easy, low cal, low fat and fresh! thank you for sharing this one!