Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 min
- 6 medium potatoes
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons unbleached flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer, any brand
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Boil potatoes in medium-size saucepan until just tender.
- Peel and slice.
- Fry bacon until crisp.
- Break into small pieces and mix with onion, celery and salt; set aside.
- Stir melted butter and flour in a small saucepan until blended.
- Add mustard and sugar.
- Slowly stir in beer and Tabasco sauce.
- Bring to boil, stirring constantly.
- Pour over potatoes.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
- Toss lightly and let stand 1 hour.
- Add bacon mixture; toss gently and serve.
I tries this recipe and it was awful. I didn't like the tast at all, even my husband(who is a beer drinker) didn't like it.
This is a good recipe on it's own (although it needed more salt to counterbalance the slight bitter aftertaste of the dressing, but also a great base to build on! I added about a 1/4 c. of white wine vinegar during the "standing" period and was delighted to discover that it ended up tasting VERY close to my German neighbors potato salad only much less oily! The directions were clear and easy to follow, and my only other recommendation would be to use either red skinned potatoes or yukon gold. This salad will most definitely be a repeat preformer at our house!
This is sooo good! I was surprised at how good it tasted. The taste of beer did not come through at all. I added more onions because I like onions in my potato salad. I also added some chopped hard boiled eggs. I will definitely be making this again.