Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This creamy, zingy, salad is a great accompaniment for grilled sausages or burgers, and is from a Sunset Magazine. ***Note*** Make up to 4 hours ahead, keep well refrigerated until ready to serve. Stir in asparagus just before serving.
- 8 ounces asparagus, ends trimmed, spears cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 lbs red potatoes, cut into 3/4 inch thick chunks
- 2 slices bacon, thick cut, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup shallot, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons coarse grain mustard
- salt and pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and cut into quarters
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- rosemary sprig (optional)
- Bring a 4-to6-quart pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add asparagus and cook until barely tender when pierced, 3 to 4 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer asparagus to a bowl of ice water to cool. Pour off ice water and set asparagus aside.
- Add potatoes to boiling water and cook until tender when pierced, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain in a colander; set aside.
- In a medium frying pan over medium heat, cook bacon until it is just beginning to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add shallots and rosemary and cook until shallots are translucent, about 4 minutes.
- In a blender, combine olive oil, vinegar, yogurt, mustard, and salt and pepper to taste. Whirl until blended and creamy.
- In a large bowl, gently toss the asparagus, potatoes, shallot mixture, artichoke hearts, and capers, with the dressing. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with rosemary sprigs (if using).
- Serve warm or at room temperature.