Recipe by CHEF GRPA
This is a good, basic recipe and best when made a day ahead to allow the flavors to blend. Just a good old fashioned, down home potato salad recipe that brings back memories of picnics in the park and family gatherings. Wonderful as it is or make it your own by adding additional ingredients of your choice.
- 5 lbs red potatoes
- 7 eggs
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) jar salad dressing, sandwich spread (I USE KRAFT SANDWICH SPREAD)
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add potatoes, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until tender but still firm. Drain, cool and cut into cubes.
- 2. Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Cover and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, cool, peel and chop.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine chopped potatoes and eggs. Mix together mayonnaise, chopped onion, green onion, green pepper, and celery. Season with salt and pepper, then mix well. Cover, and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.Allrecipes home.
- My Note: What others have added, mustard, pickles, bacon, radishes, etc. Because everyone’s tastes vary, as mentioned in the description, I encourage you to add "additional ingredients" to make this recipe "your own". Don’t be afraid to experiment, that's what makes cooking fun. When adding bacon or chopped dill pickles, you may want to reduce the salt called for in the recipe. To make this quickly - first start cooking the eggs - then take out the large bowl that you will be using to serve - I peel and dice the potatoes and rinsed them in that bowl to get out starch - put potatoes in cold water and bring to boil - then lower heat to a slow boil and cook approximately 10 to 15 minute Your eggs will probably be finised by then so cool them down with cold water. Then mix all the ingredients for dressing in the bowl - add the chopped eggs and by then your potatoes are probably ready to add. Very little clean up and no waiting time for things to be done - I added a tablespoon of ground mustard to dressing and only used 2 eggs but that is just a preference. I thought this turned out great and it was fast. The inlaws/outlaws? (in Sweden) are in love with this and have asked for the recipe! Have Fun and Happy Cooking!