Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
My name for it says it all. This is what I grew up eating and is the only kind that I have ever tried and liked. My friend Steph always swore that she hated the stuff, too, till she tried this. Now she, and many others, are converts too. The original is made with full fat mayo and either whole milk yogurt or sour cream, but the light is just as good. Just remember to hard boil the eggs :-)
- 7 medium potatoes
- 4 -5 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup salad oil
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat plain yogurt (or light sour cream)
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup sliced green onion (whole thing)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chopped dill weed
- 1 dash pepper
- 3⁄4 cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup light mayonnaise
- Cook potatoes in water to cover; drain.
- Peel; slice while warm.
- Combine oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder; blend thoroughly.
- Pour 1/3 to 1/2 of the dressing over the potatoes. Let stand for at least 1 hour.
- Add mayonnaise, eggs, sour cream, onions, dill weed and celery to remaining dressing; combine with potato mixture. Chill until ready to serve.
This was a very yummy potato salad, that my sis and me enjoyed a lot for lunch today. The dressing was creamy, but a little too plain for us. Maybe some roasted garlic and paprika could make a nice addition? I especially enjoyed the combination of egg, dill and potatoes. Next time I might add some corn kernels or roasted red bell pepper. This salad is very versatile and great for many occasions. Ill definitely make it again! THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this wonderful recipe with us, VNess. Made and reviewed for I Recommend Tag Game May 2010.
Fan-damn-tastic! We had relatives from out of town and I made this to compliment baby-backs. I did add a few things: red onions, paprika and relish...I didn't have any white vinegar so I used apple cider vinegar. Thank you, thank you for this recipe. This went over like gang-busters. Even better the 2nd day. Brigadier12
I was asked to bring potato salad for a work potluck, but I had never made potato salad before because I don't like it. So I was very happy to find this recipe, which I actually ate! Several co-workers raved about how fabulous it was, even those who already love potato salad. I halved the recipe, used fat free sour cream and omitted the salt and celery (didn't have any celery). Thanks for sharing!