Really tasty mustardy flavor. Ina Garten, 2006. Didn't allow for chill time.Update: 12/03/2008 - after much deliberation as to how to do this, I decided to warn those of you who are going to make this recipe - to ignore the 2 teaspoons of salt that the recipe says to add just before you toss the salad; also, I think you should only use 1-1/2 T of salt when boiling the potatoes for the salad. Better to add salt than to have too much! OK Lauralie? :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs small white potatoes (skins on)
- kosher salt
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill (if using dill, taste your salad for correct seasoning) or 1/2 cup chopped parsley (if using dill, taste your salad for correct seasoning)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1Place potatoes and 2 tablespoons of salt in large pot of water. Bring the water to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer 10-15 minutes, until the potatoes are barely tender when pierced with a knife *.(See recipe update introduction.).
- 2Drain the potatoes (skins on) in a colander, then place the colander with the potatoes over the empty pot and cover with a clean, dry kitchen towel.
- 3Allow the potatoes to steam for 15-20 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, buttermilk, Dijon mustard, whole grain mustard, dill or parsley, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of black pepper, and a pinch of crushed red pepper, if using.
- 5Set aside.
- 6When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut them in quarters or in half, depending on their size.
- 7Place the cut potatoes in a large bowl. While the potatoes are still warm, pour enough dressing over them to moisten.
- 8Add the celery and red onion, 2 teaspoons of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Toss well, cover, and refrigerate a few hours to allow the flavors to blend **.(See recipe update - introduction).
- 9Serve either cold or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato Salad (Barefoot Contessa) Ina Garten
Serving Size: 1 (231 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 258.9
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 7.9 mg
- Sodium 316.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 4.4 g