Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
This potato salad is great !!! just the way I like it, for some mysterious reason. Prep time does not include chilling time in the fridge.
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes or 2 lbs white rose potatoes or 2 lbs other waxy potatoes, unpeeled,scrubbed,cut in half crosswise (Also good made with sweet potatoes; flavor is about the same, but the salad is a little more colorfu)
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar, to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, to taste (or white if you're picky!)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, to taste
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion (or a mixture of chopped white onion and green onion)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1⁄2 red bell peppers or 1⁄2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons sweet relish, lightly drained
- 1 -2 tablespoon dill relish, lightly drained
- 1 -2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream or 1⁄2 cup drained nonfat yogurt (My Yogurt Cheese, Yogurt Cheese - 'Labanee', in Arabic, mashed with the mayo until smooth, works great for this, giving the)
- 4 -5 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Cook potatoes slowly in a large saucepan of salted water.
- When done, but not soggy, drain in a colander until cool enough to handle, peel, and cut into 3/4" pieces.
- Place in a medium bowl, and toss with vinegar, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and olive oil.
- Set aside until cool, taste, and adjust tartness and seasonings if needed.
- Add celery, onion, parsley, and bell pepper, sweet and dill relish, mustards, mayonnaise, and sour cream or drained yogurt, combining gently.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, plus more veggies and seasonings to taste.
- I don't think I've ever made this exactly the same!
- But this is the way I always start.
- After all other ingredients have been added, coarsely chop the hard boiled eggs, add them, adjust salt and pepper to taste, and combine gently.
- Refrigerate until chilled for best flavor and texture.
Unlike longjon, I thought the salad needed less acidity and wish I hadn't added the full amount of vinegar and lemon juice. There are lots of interesting flavors in the salad though and I may try making this again without adding both vinegar and lemon juice.
A great potato salad with mulitple contrasting flavors, colors and textures. Using what I had on-hand, I omitted the relishes, garlic granules and the sour cream/yogurt. I added roasted garlic and red pepper, chopped dill pickle, radishes and a little more mayo. In the end, it needed more acidity so I added a couple of tablespoons of dill pickle juice. thanks.