Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
I make this all summer long. We have to have this anytime we grill or BBQ which is often. Never, never any left-over.
- 4 lbs red potatoes
- 5 hard-boiled eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- Cook potatoes in boiling water to cover 40 minutes or until tender; drain and cool.
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Chop egg whites.
- In a large bowl, stir together potato, egg whites, 1/2 t. salt and green onions.
- Using a fork, mash the yolks in a small bowl; add in remaining 1/2 t. salt, mayo, pickle relish, mustard, pepper, and celery seed; stirring until well blended.
- Gently stir yolk mixture into potato mixture; adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover and chill 2 hours (it is even better if you can chill this overnight and serve the next day).
This is an excellent potato salad recipe. I used celery salt instead of the salt and celery seeds because I did not have the seeds, but it turned out fine. It is a very mild taste. Next time I will add a little more mustard, perhaps something spicy. I will absolutely use this recipe again. Thank you!
This was a very good recipe. It makes a metric ton, so be sure to have a really large bowl on hand for mixing it all up. While this is a great traditional standby, I may add a little more mustard, or perhaps some cider vinegar to the next batch in order to make it a little more tangy. Also, I followed the recipe exactly, but next time I'd quarter or dice the potatoes prior to boiling, in order to shorten the boiling time and make it easier to dress. (Slicing up soft potatoes makes them even mushier.) Thank you for the recipe!
Thanks Nurse Di. This is a very good potato salad that reminds of my Mom's. It tasted very creamy and I love the flavor of the celery seed. I made this for our Labor Day picnic down by the river. My family and friends all were very complimentary. Thanks for making me look good.