Recipe by Mimi in Maine
I have been making this for years. It is just another potato salad, but I need to post it for posterity. I hope you like it. The ingredients below are what are coming out of my head as I never measure exactly, just approximately (at least in this one). I always used to put onions, green peppers, etc. in my salad, but through the years my husband, and my kids, and my grandkids all started liking or not liking different things in it--I like it all. So I decided to do a basic potato salad with olives (which everyone likes), and lay the rest of the stuff on top of it in a covered container. That way if someone wants onion, they take a piece; and if they want green pepper, they may also take it. That way I keep everyone happy--which is pretty hard to do (smile). This works out better when I take it to a supper at church because there are a lot of people who don't like onion and pepper. This way they can have the salad only and the ones who want the rest may have it. Now that I've written my novel, I'll quit.
Top Review by pennasnowgirl
We're not olive eaters. Use sweet pickle juice & sour cream. have same problem as you, so offer optional toppings on the side as well. Never tastes th same way twice because I always have a different "tester"
- 6 large potatoes (peeled and cooked)
- 20 -25 stuffed green olives (more or less, sliced)
- 1⁄2 raw carrot ((finely diced)
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive juice
- salt and pepper
- sliced onion rings
- sliced green pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the potato till done; cool and dice.
- Put in a bowl and add the sliced olives and finely chopped carrot.
- Mix the mayonnaise, mustard, olive juice, and vinegar; add the salt and pepper; mix well.
- Add this to the potatoes slowly because I don't know how much mayonnaise you want.
- If you have any dressing left over use it to make some deviled or stuffed eggs to put around the salad.
- Put it in a covered container and slice some onions and green pepper strips on the top.