Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is my favorite potato salad recipe, honed over many years of potato salad devotion. It is my maternal grandmother, Agnes Adams, whom I have to thank for my love of the cold spud. This is my interpretation of her original recipe. Cooking the potatoes in their already diced state helps to keep them intact, making for a less mushy salad. The pickled mustard seeds are an extra ingredient - you don't have to use them, but they do make this salad special. Here is a recipe for them: https://ourdailybrine.com/pickled-mustard-seeds-recipe/
- 2 lbs red potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons pickled mustard seeds
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, yolks set aside & whites diced
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- Wash potatoes and cut into 3/4 inch dice.
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and add water to cover by one inch. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; add one tablespoon salt, reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring once or twice, until potatoes are tender, about 8 minutes. Drain well.
- While still warm, sprinkle red wine vinegar evenly over drained potatoes, & mix well. Let stand for 20 minutes - the potatoes will soak up the vinegar.
- In a blender, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, yolks from hard-boiled eggs, mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, salt & pepper. Blend until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes, celery, shallots, pickled mustard seeds, hard-boiled egg whites, dressing from blender, and dill. Mix well & taste to check seasonings.
- Chill well in fridge.
Wow, did this ever hit the spot. We loved the dressing and found the ratio of ingredients perfect. I made this exactly as written and wouldn't change a thing. Thanks for sharing this winner, xtine. It is our family's new favorite.
Delicious!! The ingredients blended together so well. No flavor was overpowering. I used pickles instead of celery. Made for Name That Ingredient!!
This is exactly how I like my potato salad...creamy and tangy! I omitted the red wine vinegar because I used Miracle Whip, which has a tang in it already. When the potatoes were hot, I added some of the dressing to them so they could soak up the flavor. I also added pickle relish, celery salt and paprika.