Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
A crunchy potato salad with an attitude.
- 1 medium russet potato
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 hardboiled egg
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 3 tablespoons homemade mayonnaise
- 3 slices bacon
for the mayonnaise
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry Chinese mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne chili pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup canola oil
- For the mayonaise:.
- In a food processor or blender, process the yolks, salt, mustard, cayenne, lemon juice and water together to form a stable base.
- With the motor running, add a few drops of the oil, the mixture will begin to thicken. Then, begin adding the remaining oil in a thin, steady stream. Keep covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- For the salad:.
- Place the egg in a pan of tap water. Cook, covered, for 15 minutes. Place the egg in a bowl of ice.
- In the mean time bring another pot of water to boil with the potato. Cook just shy of well done, about 25 minutes. A paring knife should meet some resistance when inserted into the potato.
- While the potato is cooking, fry the bacon crisply. Place it between two sheets of paper towel and roll over it with a rolling pin (or a glass jar). Reserve the crushed bacon.
- Chop all the ingredients to your choice of size. I personally prefer a fine chop. Stir all the ingredients except the mayonnaise and bacon together to achieve a thorough mix.
- Fold in the mayonnaise, sprinkle on the bacon crumbs, serve and enjoy.