Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is the kind of potato salad my mother and grandmother used to make. I've made this for years and everyone loves it.
- 6 medium red potatoes
- 6 large eggs
- 2 stalks celery
- 1⁄2 medium green pepper
- 1⁄2 large red onion
- 1 small dill pickle
- 2⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Boil potatoes whole with skins on for 20 - 30 minutes in a large pot until potatoes are fork tender.
- Set potatoes aside to cool.
- While the potatoes are cooling, carefully put eggs in the same pot of hot water and boil them until hard boiled (about 10 minutes).
- Take eggs out of hot water and put in ice water to cool - this is an important step to loosen the shells and get a nice yellow color on the yolks.
- When eggs are cool, remove shells from eggs.
- When potatoes are cool, using a butter knife, scape off the skins of the red potatoes.
- Cover the eggs and the potatoes and place them in the refrigerator. (Note: It's important that the potatoes and eggs are completely chilled before continuing - I frequently prepare the potatoes and eggs the day before).
- In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper and blend well.
- Chop up onion, pepper, celery, (pickle -finely chopped) and put these with the mayonnaise mixture; stir well.
- Cube the potatoes and coarsely chop the eggs and toss with the rest of the mayonnaise mixture.
- Put potato salad in the refrigerator for at least an hour for the mixture to chill further and the flavors to combine.
This is a great recipe. I added a tablespoon of fresh dill from my garden. Yum! Sue