Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is my sister's recipe. Everyone just loves her potato salad! It's thick and hearty with a great flavor!
- 5 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup dill pickle, chopped
- 1 -2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 -2 tablespoon pickle juice
- salt and pepper
- Boil potatoes until soft and then drain well.
- In a large bowl add potatoes, 3 of the hard boiled eggs (chopped), onion, green pepper, celery and dill pickles; toss lightly to mix.
- Add mustard, 1 tbsp dill pickle juice, salt, pepper and 1 cup of mayonnaise; mix well.
- Add more dill pickle juice if desired.
- Add more mayonnaise until you reach desired consistency.
- Slice remaining hardboiled egg into long ovals and lightly press onto top of potato salad for garnish.
- Serve chilled.
- *Note: The "cooking" time for this recipe also includes the time for chilling.
This is very close to my recipe for potato salad, but somehow lost mine. So from now on, this one will be the one I use. One tip to make sure you don't overcook your potatoes, is put them in the water in the pot and when it boils hard for 8 mins, drain and dress. Perfect everytime!
I added grey poupon to mine for a good kick and bacon. No peppers, but am definitely willing to try that!
I made half a recipe and DH loved it. I hadn't made potato salad with dill before and really loved it.
DH thought it needed more umph. Domeone else said it was fantastic!!! So I divided 5 stars and the 3 stars.