Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
Potatoes with jalapeños and cheese rolled in a corn tortilla and fried till crispy. I started making these because I miss the potato tacos in San Diego.
- Chop jalapeño peppers finely.
- Chop cilantro.
- Boil potatoes till easy to mash but still a little firm.
- Mash potatoes and add jalapeños, taco seasoning, cilantro and cheese together.
- Prepare tortillas by fast steaming so they are easy to roll. I usually boil water in a small pot a little smaller than the tortilla's then place a double paper towel on top and place one tortilla at a time for 2 or 3 seconds till steamed, then remove and replace as you go.
- Take a steamed tortilla and spoon about 1 tablespoon of potato mixture in and roll gently. Place in baking dish with the rolled side down. Continue doing this lining them up in dish as you go.
- Place in freezer for 15 minutes or until they become slightly stiff. I like this method better than toothpicks.
- Heat oil on medium heat (I usually use olive oil).
- When oil is ready, place 4 tacos at a time with the rolled side down in pan.
- Flip to other side when brown.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Garnish as desired.
- I use sour cream mixed with taco sauce drizzled over the top.
these were good and i loved the concept but I would have liked just a little more kick of flavor.
We really loved this recipe! So much easier to eat than regular tacos, and easy to make. I baked a couple potatoes in the microwave for this. I tried the freezing method, but a few ended up unraveling on me so then i just went with the toothpicks, and that worked out great. Thanks for posting!
Yummy!!! I made these today. They were a big hit. This recipe has become one of my favorites. Thank you for sharing.