Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a hearty, herbed quick bread that is very simple and easy to prepare. Unlike other potato bread recipes, you don't need to cook the potatoes before mashing them. Try this healthy bread with a soup or stew on a cold night.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix the flour, soda, salt, and herbs together in a bowl.
- Wash and peel the potatoes and puree them in a food processor until there are no remaining chunks.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl and mix in the egg, milk, and oil.
- Add the dry ingredients to the potato mixture and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 9x5 inch pan and bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
All the conditions were right for this bread...snowing all day, homemade soup, oven temp at 350, according to oven thermometer. I loved not having to use potato flakes & I really wanted to love this recipe. It was so easy & has a good combination of flavors but it just would not cook through. The middle of the bread, after 40 minutes in the oven, was still about a half dollar size with a mushy oatmeal texture. I used 3 potatoes as they were not baking potatoes & are smaller than what I thought of as large. I think it would be really helpful to note the actual measurement of potato we should have after processing it (like, "1 cup of potato puree"). The bread was extremely dense & I felt as I was making it that I should use half all purpose flour but I chose to follow the recipe exactly as written instead. I would like to try this recipe again with all white flour or half wheat & half bread flour. My family is more than willing to try it again but tonight's loaf, I'm sad to say, we couldn't even eat. Thanks for sharing your recipe, sszz. If I make this again with better results I will come back with an update. :) Made for New Kids on the Block tag game.