Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Makes a wonderful, easy breakfast or main meal.
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1 (12 ounce) packagefrozen hash browns, thawed
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1 -2 green onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash hot sauce
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Combine first 8 ingredients; stir well.
- Pour mixture into a lightly greased 9-inch pieplate; sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until set.
- Sprinkle bacon evenly on top; bake an additional 5 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
This was the first quiche I've ever made and I will definitely make it again! Easy and delicious. I thought the swiss cheese would be too overpowering, but it wasn't. I think the cottage cheese really made this quiche so tasty. Thanks for a great recipe NurseDi!
This recipe was just a guideline so it probably explains why my cook time was over an hour rather than 25 minutes. Instead of packaged hash browns I used freshly grated potatoes because I prefer to use fresh ingredients. I also added some onions and chives. I baked it in a stone pie pan, so that might explain the longer cook time too.
There is another family we get together with most weekends. We generally say "Well, what do you have to cook?" to determine our menu. I had a TON of eggs so I decided to make quiches. I looked in the freezer and found 1/4 of a bag of hashbrowns so I decided to go with that. I used fat free cottage cheese, chopped swiss cheese instead of shredded, and about 3 slices of crumbled turkey bacon for just a light taste and crunch. This makes a very dense quiche. I am not a fan of cottage cheese normally, and seeing the lumps in the batter concerned me a bit, but it all melted together well. We enjoyed this.