Recipe by JustJanS
We make this at work, sometimes substituting sweet potato for the pumpkin.
Top Review by southern_gal12000
Great! Was pleasantly surprised. I am an avid cook, however have never cooked pumpkin. Never cared for pumpkin pie much. Liked all the ingredients in this recipe (primarily no sugar), so tried it. Don't know if there was a problem with my computer or what, but the measurements were a little confusing to me. Maybe this will help others with the same problem...I'm used to cup measurements or item counts. The lbs. and ozs. threw me off a little and then I had no idea what 180c for oven temp. was. (I suppose I could have looked it up)but I guessed. I used 2 large baking potatoes and 1 medium sized sugar pumpkin. And used the normal 350 degree oven for casseroles and it turned out perfect. The rest of the recipe stayed the same. I will probably cook this for Thanksgiving and/or Christmas. Should taste great with turkey. I am also going to use this recipe with winter squash instead of pumpkin. I can't wait!
- 500 g potatoes, diced
- 500 g pumpkin, diced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 125 g ham, chopped
- 1 (375 ml) can evaporated low-fat milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup fesh breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese, extra
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the potato and pumpkin in boiling water until just tender, drain.
- Heat oil in a frypan over a medium heat and cook onion and ham for 2 minutes.
- Combine with the potato and pumpkin in an oven proof baking dish.
- Combine the remaining ingredients except the extra cheese.
- Pour over the potato and pumpkin.
- Sprinkle with extra cheese and bake in a 180c oven 35-40 minutes until golden brown and set.