Prep 40 mins
Cook 50 mins
Haven't made this for a while but it was a good, tasty treat. I tried substituting yohgurt for the cream but it really altered the taste.
- 750 g potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 900 g butternut pumpkin, peeled and cut into chunks
- 100 g butter
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄3 cup cream
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste
- 1⁄4 cup chopped chives
- 2 teaspoons chopped thyme
- extra butter
- 2 -3 evenly sized potatoes
- 120 g grated gruyere or 120 g jarlsberg cheese
- 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs, extra
- Boil potato and garlic until tender.
- Steam pumpkin until tender.
- Mash potatoes and garlic with half the butter, half the parmensan, half the cream, one egg, salt, pepper and chives.
- Repeat with the pumpkin, using half other ingredients, with the nutmeg and thyme.
- Line the base of a 24cm cake tin (I use a springform) with baking paper, butter base and sides, and coat with breadcrumbs, tap out excess.
- Peel and slice remaining potatoes and layer the base of the tin.
- Spoon mashed potato mixture over and even out.
- Put in grated cheese and pat down lightly leaving a slight border all around.
- Spread pumpkin mixture on top.
- Mix 2 tbsp of parmesan and all leftover crumbs and sprinkle over the top.
- Bake 50-60 minutes until golden.
- Remove from oven and leave for 15 minutes.
- Invert onto a serving plate.
- Sprinkle top with parmesan and place under hot grill for about 5 minutes until golden.