Recipe by ktdid
Crispy on the outside, tender and moist inside, and the preparation and appearance are conversation starters! Can be prepped ahead, so these are great for entertaining (but they are one of my family's favorites for any dinner). Recipe is an amalgam of Crash Hot Potatoes from Jill Dupleix and Smashed Potatoes published around Easter in the Seattle Times.
- 2 lbs new potatoes, 1-2-inch in diameter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Leave potatoes whole. Place in steamer basket over water in a dutch oven. Cover and bring to a boil. Steam over low boil for about 25 minutes, or until just tender.
- Remove potatoes from steamer and let cool. If doing ahead, cover and refrigerate at this point.
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Put potatoes in large bowl and toss with seasonings and olive oil. transfer to a baking sheet (I use a jelly roll pan). Place a piece of plastic wrap loosely over potatoes. Using a small heavy saucepan, gently smash each potato under the plastic wrap to flatten to about 1/2" thick. Remove plastic wrap and arrange potatoes uniformly in the pan. Scrape any remaining seasoned oil out of the bowl and drizzle over the potatoes. Sprinkle lightly with additional kosher salt.
- Roast in oven for 20-25 minutes. If using parmesan, sprinkle on for last 5 minutes of baking.