Hilltop Farm Guy's Note:
This wholesome recipe was a favorite when I was small, during World War II, when there were shortages of many things, including money. This is easy, delicious and very inexpensive. Great on a cold winter night. Sometimes we add previously stewed chicken pieces but it can stand up on its own as a vegetarian dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -5 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 pints salt water (or chicken broth)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1Prepare biscuit dough using your own biscuit recipe or using Bisquick and following package directions, or:.
- 2Make from scratch by combining the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or a fork until crumbly. Add the milk. Stir until it comes together and you can form a ball. Do not overdo it or the dough will become tough. Add a little more milk if needed to keep dough soft. Pat into a round about 1/2" thick on a floured surface.
- 3Cut biscuits to 2 1/2 to 3 inches in diameter and set aside for the next steps.
- 4Bring the 2 pints of salted water to a boil. (For an extra rich dish, substitute chicken broth for the water.).
- 5When the liquid begins to boil, add the potatos and biscuit dough in alternate layers. Begin with the potatoes, then biscuit dough and continue until all of the potatoes and biscuits have been used.
- 6Lower heat to a little more than a simmer, cover and cook until potatoes are tender and the biscuit dough has set up -- approximately 30 minutes.
- 7(The pot pie doesn't need to have meat but if you decide to add pre-cooked chicken, add it to the liquid before adding the other ingredients or, alternatively, place chicken pieces on top of the pot pie about 5 minutes before serving.).
- 8Serve in a large soup bowl with buttered bread and coleslaw or a garden salad. A large glass of cold milk with this meal will top it off and make you want to kiss your Granny!
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato Pot Pie
Serving Size: 1 (355 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 679.0
- Calories from Fat 285
- Total Fat 31.7 g
- Saturated Fat 17.2 g
- Cholesterol 66.7 mg
- Sodium 1005.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 87.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 12.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: