Recipe by under12parsecs
From Lidia's Italy, this sounds so rich and delectable! Authentic dish from the Trentino-Alto Adige region of Italy
Top Review by Andi of Longmeadow Farm
How could you not love anything that comes out of "Lidia's" kitchen? This is no exception, a very traditional and extremely a tummy-full of love. This is so simple, although I confess to worrying a bit when the potato didn't appear to mash and get as smooth as the polenta I've made in the past. But no need to worry, this came together beautiful once the cornmeal as added, and then to add the top of crop of love, the bacon. Excuse me, I now have to go and run, because I ate more then my fair-share. Thanks for posting, under! Made for ZWT7
- 4 lbs idaho potatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 ounces montasio cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup polenta (uncooked corn meal polenta flour)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the potatoes and in a heavy bottomed sauce pan, cook them covered with water until done, drain most of the water, leaving about one cup with the potatoes. Mash the potatoes well in the remaining water add salt and the corn meal mix well till smooth, return to medium heat and cook for 20-30 minutes stirring with a wooden spoon often.
- In the meantime sauté the bacon and onion in the olive oil until rendered and the bacon is crisp.
- When the polenta is cooked and begins to pull off the sides, remove from heat and toss in the cheese cubes as well as the onion bacon sofritto. Mix well and serve.