Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I think this originally came from the Too Hot Tamales Show but I've made some minor changes. The original recipe calls for 2 strips thick-cut bacon. I seldom cook with bacon but when I do I save the drippings, so I usually have a container of that in the fridge. I've also increased the poblanos because I love 'em! I buy 6 or 8 at a time, roast them and freeze them whole. They peel easily when thawed.
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 6 poblano peppers, roasted, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 6 large yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced small
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup queso fresco
- Saute onion in bacon grease until softened.
- Add poblano and garlic and saute several more minutes.
- Add chicken stock and potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Puree with stick blender (or CAREFULLY in regular blender or food processor), being careful not to overprocess (which results in gummy soup).
- Stir in sour cream. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve sprinkled with queso fresco cheese.