Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 4 large potatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup flour, plus flour as needed
- 1⁄4 cup farina
- 14 small sweet plums
- 14 small sugar cubes
- 1 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- Scrub potatoes well but do not peel.
- In a saucepan combine potatoes and water to cover and bring to a boil.
- Cook until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork (about 40 minutes); drain.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel and, while still warm, press through a potato ricer into a large mixing bowl.
- Let cool.
- Add salt, eggs, and the 1 tablespoon butter to potatoes and mix well.
- Gradually mix in the 1 cup flour and farina until dough is easy to work, adding more flour if it is too wet. Turn dough out onto a floured board and knead well until smooth and fairly soft (5 to 10 minutes). With your hands form dough into a large sausage-shaped roll.
- Cut roll into 12 to 16 equal pieces.
- Cut open plums and remove pits.
- Replace each pit with a sugar cube and re-form plum.
- With a floured rolling pin, roll out each dough piece into a 3-inch square 1/4 to 1/3 inch thick.
- Place 1 plum in center of each square. Bring up corners of square to enclose plum completely; no part of plum must be exposed.
- Pinch dough edges together firmly so that dumpling doesn't break open during cooking.
- Meanwhile, fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Drop in dumplings, being careful not to crowd pan, and boil gently, stirring occasionally.
- Do not boil too hard or dumplings may split open.
- Once dumplings rise to surface, cook until tender (5 to 10 minutes total cooking time, depending on intensity of boil). With a slotted utensil carefully remove dumplings one at a time to a heated bowl; cover tightly to keep warm.
- Repeat with remaining dumplings.While dumplings are cooking melt the 1/2 cup butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add bread crumbs and cook, stirring, until browned.
- Turn out onto a flat plate. Roll hot dumplings in browned bread crumbs to coat completely and serve immediately.
- Variations: Potato Noodles - Omit plums and sugar cubes.
- Prepare dough as directed, but roll with your palms to form 2 or more sausage-shaped rolls about 1/2 inch in diameter.
- Cut rolls into 2-inch lengths.
- Fill a large saucepan with salted water and bring to a boil over high heat. Drop in noodles and cook until tender (5 to 10 minutes). Drain and roll in breads crumbs as directed for dumplings.
- Dessert Potato Noodles Prepare Potato Noodles and roll in bread crumbs as directed.
- Sprinkle with ground cinnamon and sugar to taste. Yield: 14 servings.
Correct spelling SZILVAS GOMBOC
Ah, thank you so much ! my grandma used to make these ALL the time and I couldn't figure out the spelling myself but your guess was as good as mine xD
Yes, this is very similar to my mother's recipe. I don't remember the farina, though, and she used prune preserves or lecvar instead of plums.