Recipe by Axe
I can't remember where this came from. I think it may have been Women's Day magazine. It is truly unique and a creative savory alternative to regular pizza. We love it and consider it a special treat 2 or 3 times a year.
Top Review by CraftScout
What a delicious treat! This is definitely not an every week type of pizza, but when you afford the richness, this is something you have gotta try! I have made this twice now, once for the whole family (6 servings made in a rectangle on a baking sheet) and once just for me with the leftover ricotta (made much prettier and with more knowledge). The first time I used my mandoline to slice the potatoes, which was quick but even on my thinnest setting, the slices were too thick. The next time I used a knife which allowed me to slice the potato about 1/8" thick and this worked MUCH better. The potato crust cooked in the amount of time mentioned, and then held together as a crust much better than the first time.
- 1 lb red potatoes, sliced
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) package frozen spinach, chopped, thawed, squeezed dry
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
Directions See How It's Made
- slice the potatoes as thin as you possibly can.
- in a bowl, combine the egg, salt and pepper.
- mix in the potato slices until they are all evenly coated.
- on a lightly oiled cookie sheet or pizza pan, layer the potato slices so that they overlap and cover the pan. This is your pizza crust.
- bake the potatoes at 350 for 10 minutes or until you see them start to lightly brown. Remove and let cool.
- In the mean time, saute the bacon until crisp and crumble into 'bacon bits'.
- Boil the spinach for 5-10 minutes, drain and let cool.
- Now it's time to make your pizza!
- First, layer the cooled potato 'crust' with the spinach.
- Now cover the spinach with the Ricotta cheese.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients in the order that suits you and bake in the oven at 350 for 10-15 minutes or until the mozzarella cheese has melted.
- Enjoy this unique, savory meal!