1/2 Photos of Potato Pizza
2 hrs 30 mins
I nabbed this recipe from Ian Parmenter's Consuming Passions Collection III. Ian is an Aussie chef. I thought this recipe was a goodie to share with adventurous cooks. As Ian Parmenter says, "It's a simple pizza style dish that doesn't need bread dough. It relies for its success on the humble spud. The recipe is for the base, which may be used to accompany other dishes, or you may add pizza topping of your choice."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 500 g onions
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine (If you can't drink it don't use it)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons oregano or 1/2 teaspoon chopped dried mixed herbs
- 1 kg potato
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese ("or" other hard cheese)
Pizza topping of your choice for example
- 1Finely slice onions into rings and brown them in a little extra virgin olive oil.
- 2Once browned, add red wine.
- 3Add thyme and reduce heat.
- 4Leave onions to simmer in this mixture for about three quarters of an hour.
- 5Check from time to time to make sure they're not drying out too much and sticking to the pan.
- 6Just add a little water to keep them moist.
- 7Peel and grate potatoes.
- 8(If watery, strain out water in sieve).
- 9In a large bowl, mix milk with the egg, flour, nutmeg, cheese and pepper.
- 10Oil a shallow pan which can be put in the oven.
- 11Mix the onion and wine mixture with the egg and flour mixture, and the potato.
- 12Stir well.
- 13Pour the mixture into the pan.
- 14Bake in oven at 200C for about 40 minutes, after which time it should have started getting a golden crust.
- 15At this stage, take it out and add some pizza toppings of your choice.
- 16And put this back into the hot oven.
- 17Or you could put it under the grill for a few moments.
- 18Wine suggestion: Cabernet Sauvignon.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato Pizza
Serving Size: 1 (301 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 233.4
- Calories from Fat 53
- Total Fat 5.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 36.3 mg
- Sodium 39.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 5.8 g