Recipe by erin_denny
A thick and creamy potato soup with a spicy pepperjack kick! A great replica of a favorite from our local bread company.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced (I used a little less, about 2/3 of an onion)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 bouillon cubes
- 4 cups diced potatoes
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil potatoes in water until tender; about 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, combine olive oil, peppers, onion, garlic and carrot in a medium sauce pan. Sauté on medium heat until vegetables are soft.
- Drain all liquid from potatoes and add vegetables, water, and builllion cubes to the pot.
- Add bacon, milk, salt, pepper and thyme.
- Prepare roux by melting butter in a separate pot and stirring in flour to make a paste.
- Slowly add cream and allow to bubble, stirring, until roux thickens and comes away from the sides of the pan.
- Add roux to soup mixture along with the cheese. If necessary, add milk to desired consistency.