Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
Labor intensive, but so yummy! My kids love these home-made hotpockets! lol
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cold, in 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄3 cup ice water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 lb chorizo sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups onions, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1⁄2 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 lb potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 egg, beaten with
- 1 tablespoon water
- To make dough:.
- Sift together flour and salt. Use pastry blender to add butter to make a coarse meal with pea sized lumps.
- Beat together egg, water and vinegar in a small bowl.
- Add to flour mixture, stirring with a fork. The mixture will look somewhat shaggy.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and gather together.
- Knead gently once or twice with the heel of your hand just enough to bring all the dough together.
- Flatten into a rectangle, wrap in plastic and chill one hour.
- To make filling.
- Remove chorizo from casing and cook on med-low in olive oil in a saucepan, about 5 minutes, stirring.
- Transfer to bowl with a slotted spoon, leaving the drippings behind.
- Add onions and cook 15 minutes.
- Add garlic, bell peppers, bayleaf, salt and oregano and cook another 15 minutes.
- Add potatoes to the onion/pepper mixture and stir.
- Cook over low heat 10-12 minutes.
- Stir in chorizo, then cool to room temperature Discard bay leaf.
- To assemble:.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Divide dough into 12 equal pieces and form each into a disk.
- Keeping remaining disks covered, roll out 1 piece on a lightly floured board into a 5 inch round.
- Spoon 2 T filling onto center and fold into half, enclosing filling.
- Press edges together to seal, then crimp with a fork.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Brush with egg/water wash then bake 25 minutes.
- Cool 5 minutes before serving.