Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This casserole freezes well. Double the recipe and freeze half.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 4 cups cubed cooked potatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (3 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry basil
- 2 cups thinly sliced cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Brown meat loosely in a frying pan.
- Add green pepper and onion and cook until tender.
- Stir in cooked potatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, salt, pepper and basil.
- Spoon half of this mixture into a baking dish.
- Cover with half the cheese slices.
- Top with remaining potato mixture.
- Cover dish and bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- Top with remaining cheese slices, cut in decorative shapes and arrange in a patchwork design.
- Let stand 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Serve hot.
- Serves 6.