Recipe by YummySmellsca
Adapted slightly from Vicki's Vegan Kitchen (Square One (2011)). This is a super tender, but easy to work with pastry dough that can be modified for savoury tarts by simply removing the sugar and nutmeg. This recipe is best suited for bottom crusts, but rolled thinly it can be used as a topper too. This is also delicious made with sweet potatoes, especially for apple pie.
Top Review by catohound
This is awesome. Like WW says - tender and easy to work with. Nice results without worrying too much about technique. I made it without the sugar and nutmeg and used it for beany empanada-type things.
- 236.59 ml very smooth mashed potatoes, ideally from baked Yukon Gold potatoes
- 29.58 ml light olive oil
- 2.46 ml lemon juice
- 7.39 ml brown sugar
- 1.23 ml sea salt
- 236.59 ml whole wheat pastry flour
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the potatoes, oil, lemon juice, brown sugar and sea salt until well blended.
- Add the flour, baking powder and nutmeg and mix well.
- Divide in half, wrap each half in cling wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Working one half at a time, roll out into a thin circle between sheets of wax paper.
- Turn into a 9" pie plate. Repeat with remaining half of dough.
- Use immediately or wrap well in cling wrap, then heavy duty foil, and freeze up to 6 months.