Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this recipe in "Country Cooking" a Canadian collection of favorite tested recipes. I have not made it, but it looked good, and easy to make. This recipe was submitted by Doris Bond-Montgomery, Delaware, ON.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening or 1⁄2 cup lard or 1⁄2 cup bacon drippings
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄2 lb raw pork or 1⁄2 lb beef
- With the first 4 ingredients make as for pie dough, adding just enough cold water to make it easy to roll out.
- Roll out pieces of dough 1/8 inch thick, the size of a dinner plate.
- Thinly slice peeled potatoes and cover 1/2 of the pastry circles.
- Add meat and onions.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, plus any other spices you like, then fold over crust and seal edges with a fork.
- Pierce top with fork for venting.
- Bake at 350 degF until golden brown.
- Serve hot.