1/5 Photos of Potato Pancakes With Smoked Salmon
Kelly M.'s Note:
Created for RSC #9. THE SERVING SIZE HAS BEEN CORRECTED! It originally stated 8-10 servings and should be 2-4 and the reviewers were certainly right! The ingredients should yield you about 8 pancakes based on their small size. Crispy potato pancakes topped with caramelized onions, smoked salmon and dill sour cream. I would serve two of these as a first course per person, or serve 4 as a light lunch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, minced
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup white onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 medium white potatoes, peeled
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds, slightly crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- oil (for frying)
- 6 ounces smoked salmon, cut into thin strips
- 1Preheat oven to 250 degree F.
- 2In a small bowl mix together sour cream, dill and salt until well blended and put in refrigerator.
- 3Heat butter in large skillet over medium low heat. Add onions to pan, stirring occasionally until onions are softened, then sprinkle with brown sugar, and continue cooking, stirring until onions are tender and golden brown. If onions are cooking too fast, reduce heat to low. Remove to a bowl to cool.
- 4While onions are cooking, grate potatoes. Squeeze potatoes in paper towels to release as much liquid as possible.
- 5Place potatoes in medium bowl and stir in egg, fennel seed, flour, salt, pepper and baking powder until well blended.
- 6Heat enough oil to cover bottom of large non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Scoop approximately 1/3 cup portions of potato mixture into hot oil, flattening with the back of a spatula into 4" pancakes.
- 7Fry in oil until bottoms are golden brown, then flip over and fry until that side is done, keeping in mind that the first side will usually take longer to brown than the second.
- 8Remove to a plate lined with paper towels and keep warm in oven, and repeat procedure until batter is gone, adding more oil as needed.
- 9Place pancakes on plate, and divide sour cream mixture, then onions, then salmon evenly among pancakes.
- 10Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato Pancakes With Smoked Salmon
Serving Size: 1 (77 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 117.0
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 39.4 mg
- Sodium 387.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 6.1 g