Recipe by Kelly M.
Created for RSC #9. THE SERVING SIZE HAS BEEN CORRECTED! It originally stated 8-10 servings and should be 2-4 and the reviewers were certainly right! The ingredients should yield you about 8 pancakes based on their small size. Crispy potato pancakes topped with caramelized onions, smoked salmon and dill sour cream. I would serve two of these as a first course per person, or serve 4 as a light lunch.
Top Review by tigerduck
I completely agree with Zurie's review. Potential for 5 stars (and if I could give 4.5 I certainly would), loved the fennel seeds in the potato cakes, the caramalised onion, the dill and sour cream mixture topped with the smoked salmon. However, I had no clue how many potatoes to use. I ended up using 550g because in another recipe the weight (which was about a pound I believe) was given in addition to the remark of 2 potatoes. I had to use 12 potatoes to get this amount - potatoes are quite small in Switzerland. Furthermore, my friend and I (two women) ate all the potato cakes for dinner together with a side salad. But nevertheless, this recipe is a keeper for sure. Thank you so much for creating it!
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, minced
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup white onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 medium white potatoes, peeled
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fennel seeds, slightly crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- oil (for frying)
- 6 ounces smoked salmon, cut into thin strips
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 250 degree F.
- In a small bowl mix together sour cream, dill and salt until well blended and put in refrigerator.
- Heat butter in large skillet over medium low heat. Add onions to pan, stirring occasionally until onions are softened, then sprinkle with brown sugar, and continue cooking, stirring until onions are tender and golden brown. If onions are cooking too fast, reduce heat to low. Remove to a bowl to cool.
- While onions are cooking, grate potatoes. Squeeze potatoes in paper towels to release as much liquid as possible.
- Place potatoes in medium bowl and stir in egg, fennel seed, flour, salt, pepper and baking powder until well blended.
- Heat enough oil to cover bottom of large non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Scoop approximately 1/3 cup portions of potato mixture into hot oil, flattening with the back of a spatula into 4" pancakes.
- Fry in oil until bottoms are golden brown, then flip over and fry until that side is done, keeping in mind that the first side will usually take longer to brown than the second.
- Remove to a plate lined with paper towels and keep warm in oven, and repeat procedure until batter is gone, adding more oil as needed.
- Place pancakes on plate, and divide sour cream mixture, then onions, then salmon evenly among pancakes.
- Serve hot.