Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Comfort food to the max. Nothing beats these potato pancakes and applesauce, especially with a pork roast or ham steak.
- 3 large baking potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 granny smith apples, cored and cut into medium chunks
- 8 ounces orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 small cinnamon stick (or 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon)
- 2 whole cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon butter (optional)
- Place potatoes in a medium saucepan with enough cold water to cover.
- Bring the water to a boil and cook the potatoes until fork tender.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the pan and cook over low heat for 2-3 minutes more, shaking the pan.
- Transfer the potatoes to a mixing bowl.
- Heat the butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the shallots and cook until translucent, about 4-6 minutes.
- Add the butter, egg, salt and pepper to the potatoes and stir to combine.
- When cool, shape mixture into 8 small pancakes.
- Heat about 1/4 inch of oil in a skillet over high heat.
- Add the potato pancakes and cook 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Turn the cakes and reduce the heat to medium and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
- Drain the cakes on the paper towels and serve with applesauce.
- Homemade Applesauce: Combine all ingredients in a heavy saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to simmer and cook until the apples are fork tender.
- Remove from the heat and mash all the ingredients together using a potato masher.
- Stir in the butter, if using.
The Apple Sauce was GREAT was very good with the pork chops I made. I used a potato ricer instad of masher which straned out some hard parts of the apples. I could not get the Potato Pancakes to work maybe I did something wrong, but they just fell apart and by the time they cooked at all they had desolved in the oil.
We enjoyed this! A real comfort food..made the potatoes the same..except I added a tblsp. sour cream...(shame on me!) but I did not add the butter to the applesauce which was great. I like the orange juice compared to the standard lemon juice. Combines well with the spices...a keeper. Thank you for sharing. glitter