Prep 15 mins
Cook 11 mins
Goes great with applesauce!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 medium baking potatoes, pared and shredded (2 cups)
- 1 medium onion, shredded (1 cup)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- 6 ounces shredded gouda cheese (1 1/2 cups)
- Heat 2 tbsp oil and the butter in a 8" seasoned cast iron skillet.
- Add the potatoes, spreading evenly over the bottom of the skillet; sprinkle onion over the potato and press down firmly with a spatula.
- Season potatoes with salt and pepper.
- Cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until the underside of potatoes turns golden brown.
- Run a thin, flexible spatula around the edge of the skillet; loosen the potatoes carefully with spatula from bottom of the pan before turning over.
- Turn pancake over onto a cookie sheet or large plate; slide pancake back into skillet, browned side up.
- Cook 5 minutes more or until underside is golden brown and potatoes are cooked through.
- If necessary, add an additional tbsp oil to the skillet to prevent sticking.
- Sprinkle pancake with cheese; cover pan and cook until cheese melts, about 1 minute.
- Garnish with chopped parsley, if you desire; cut into wedges and serve.