1/2 Photos of Potato Pancakes W/Katenspeck and Cheese (German)
Few things are more-identified w/traditional German cuisine than potato pancakes. This recipe from *Modern German Food* by Roz Denny takes your garden-variety potato pancake & expands it to include the flavors of ham & cheese. Katenspeck is from the word *Katen* & means "barn" in German, i.e. this ham is made farmhouse-style (cured, smoked & cooked). Roz's intro read: "Potato pancakes are a traditional Rheinland confection. Once it was mother who wielded the pan. Nowadays spec dys in bars & cafes are the ideal opportunity to sample this dish & there are street stalls selling them. The most famous is outside the Cologne railway station, so visitors have no excuse not to sample this delicacy! The pancakes are sometimes served w/applesauce, but this version w/chopped crispy Katenspeck, grated onion & cheese is always popular." Made me hungry just to think about it & the pic pushed me well over that hunger edge. (Pls see notes after prep Re cheese & cooking time). *Enjoy* !
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 kg firm potato (peeled)
- 1 small onion (grated)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1 sprig fresh thyme (leaves from sprig, chopped)
- 115 g ham (finely chopped)
- 85 g emmenthaler cheese (coarsely grated, may use Swiss cheese)
- canola oil (for frying)
- 1Coarsely grate potatoes & squeeze dry w/your hands or a colander, pressing down w/the back of a ladle.
- 2Place in a bowl w/the grated onion & mix in the flour. Add salt, some freshly ground black pepper + herbs & set aside.
- 3In a lrg non-stick fry pan, fry chopped ham till crisp. Remove ham from pan, but leave rendered fat in pan. Stir crisped ham + cheese into the potato mixture.
- 4Heat 1 tbsp canola oil w/the rendered fat. When hot, drop in a rounded tbsp of potato mixture & flatten w/the back of a spoon to a round shape or as neatly as you can.
- 5Fry for 2-3 min over med-heat till golden brown & flip to cook the other side. Repeat w/the mixture in batches. Top up the oil as needed & make sure it is hot b4 frying ea batch. Drain on paper towels, keep uncovered in a warm oven till all batches are cooked & then have a feast.
- 6NOTE RE CHEESE: Suggested ideal subs for Emmenthal are: American Swiss cheese, Raclette, Gruyère, Jarlsberg & Alpine Lace from Wisconsin.
- 7NOTE RE YIELD & TIMES: # of servings was shown, but not the yield. Since the pancakes are cooked in batches & w/o the yield, the cooking time was entirely guesstimated.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato Pancakes W/Katenspeck and Cheese (German)
Serving Size: 1 (303 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 260.2
- Calories from Fat 17
- Total Fat 1.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 14.9 mg
- Sodium 742.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 12.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: