Koechin (Chef)'s Note:
Mr Cohen was the Master of Latkes in Milwaukee Wisconsin. He shared the recipe and it appeared in the "Milwaukee Journal" in 1973. I have never used another recipe again!!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1The secret to these crisp delights, is to use bread crumbs instead of flour as other recipes suggest!
- 2Cut the washed,unpeeled potatoes into chunks.
- 3Peel the onion (medium)and cut into chunks as well.
- 4Mince the garlic.
- 5Put this in batches through the shredding disk of a food processor(not too fine). If you do not have a processor, use a blender but place one egg into the bottom first with each batch and pulse several times.
- 6Empty contents into a large bowl and drain off some of the liquid.
- 7Now stir in all the remaining ingredients except the oil. The batter should be thick enough to hold its shape. You may need to add extra bread crumbs.
- 8Pour enough oil into a large skillet to about 1/8 inch deep.
- 9Heat over medium high heat, about 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 10Drop in the batter by heaping tablespoons (I like them larger).
- 11Flatten them out a bit and cook until nice and brown on the underside, then flip and repeat. You may need to add more oil as you proceed. They should be crisp on the outside and soft but cooked on the inside. I always cook one and taste it. :-) Check if you want to add a little more salt.
- 12Have your oven heated to 200 degrees Fahrenheit; line several loaf pans with double paper towels.
- 13Stand the cooked pancakes in them on end and keep warm in the oven.
- 14You should get 20 to 30 depending on size. I allow at least 4 per person. :-) Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato Pancakes/ Latkes a La Cohen!
Serving Size: 1 (161 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 351.3
- Calories from Fat 191
- Total Fat 21.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 105.7 mg
- Sodium 527.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 7.4 g