1. Grate potatoes and onions together and place in a large bowl.
2. Squeeze most of the water from the grated mixture into the same bowl and place squeezed potato into another bowl. Reserve 2 to 3 tablespoons of the starchy water from the bottom of the first bowl and add back into the potato-onion mixture in the second bowl.
3. To the mixture add egg, salt and petter, lemon juice, baking powder,. Mix well.
4. Place a large skillet over medium high heat. Pour in oil to reach 1/4 inch. Test by dropping a small amount of the mixture into the oil. When it sizzles the oil is hot enough. Gently place a mound of the mixture by tablespoons or 1/4 cup measures into the hot oil. Flatten gently with a spatula or spoon. Cook 3 to 5 minutes depending on size, until golden and gently flip to brown the other side for another 3 to 5 minutes.
5. Remove crispy potato latkes to drain on paper towels set over sheets of newspaper. Serve immediately. Most like to eat latkes with sour cream or applesauce.
makes about 20 latkes ~ can make ahead ~ can freeze.
preparation time: 10 minutes ~ cooking time: 20 minutes using two pans.