Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Potato Pancakes, So yummy
- 4 -5 large baking potatoes, peeled
- 1 medium onion, peeled
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- oil (for frying)
- 1. Grate potatoes and onions together and place in a large bowl.
- 2. Squeeze most of the water from the grated mixture into the same bowl and place squeezed potato into another bowl. Reserve 2 to 3 tablespoons of the starchy water from the bottom of the first bowl and add back into the potato-onion mixture in the second bowl.
- 3. To the mixture add egg, salt and petter, lemon juice, baking powder,. Mix well.
- 4. Place a large skillet over medium high heat. Pour in oil to reach 1/4 inch. Test by dropping a small amount of the mixture into the oil. When it sizzles the oil is hot enough. Gently place a mound of the mixture by tablespoons or 1/4 cup measures into the hot oil. Flatten gently with a spatula or spoon. Cook 3 to 5 minutes depending on size, until golden and gently flip to brown the other side for another 3 to 5 minutes.
- 5. Remove crispy potato latkes to drain on paper towels set over sheets of newspaper. Serve immediately. Most like to eat latkes with sour cream or applesauce.
- makes about 20 latkes ~ can make ahead ~ can freeze.
- preparation time: 10 minutes ~ cooking time: 20 minutes using two pans.