Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 2 1⁄2 cups potatoes, grated on medium grater (2 large)
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 potato, boiled, mashed
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- vegetable oil (as needed)
- Grate raw potatoes into water to which lemon juice has been added.
- Place potatoes in a strainer or cheese cloth and drain off liquid. Drain well.
- Beat raw and cooked potatoes with egg, milk, and salt to form a batter.
- Using 3 T oil for each batch, drop batter for 3 or 4 pancakes at a time in hot oil in a large frypan.
- When firm on the bottom side, loosen edges and turn. Brown on other side.
- Remove, drain on paper towel, and keep warm. Continue until all batter is used.
- Serve immediately.
- NOTE: If potato cakes are served with meat, sprinkle with salt. Sprinkle with sugar if served with applesauce.