Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
From the Epicurious website. Delicious vegetarian dinner. My kids love it.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 12 ounces zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed, drained (chickpeas)
- 12 kalamata olives, pitted, chopped
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled, coarsely grated, squeezed dry in towel
- 1⁄3 cup grated onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- For vegetable stew:
- Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add next 4 ingredients; stir 1 minute. Add zucchini and tomatoes with juices; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until zucchini is tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Add garbanzos and olives; simmer 3 minutes.
- For potato pancakes:
- Preheat oven to 300°F Mix first 3 ingredients in bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Working in batches, spray large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray; add 1 teaspoon oil. Heat over medium-high heat. Add potato mixture by 1/3 cupfuls, spreading each to 3-inch round. Cook until pancakes are brown, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer to baking sheet; keep warm in oven.
- Place 3 pancakes on each of 4 plates. Spoon stew over and serve.